Patented Pulse Technology
SBE’s patented pulse film technology is a revolutionary way of controlling the typical failure mechanism of pulse capacitors, a catastrophic “unzipping” as the current density at the end connections of the film and end spray become overwhelmed and disengage. The SBE patented design makes it virtually impossible to “unzip” the way capacitors typically do when overstressed.
The technology can be packaged in axial-leaded, box packaging, Power Ring, or custom array configurations and is a very minor cost increase over traditionally manufactured pulse capacitors of the same value. However, since the typical pulse capacitor design is significantly “over designed” to prevent catastrophic failure, the final design cost using SBE patented pulse technology is usually lower cost and smaller in size with greater reliability.
Much information is available on this technology and its capability to greatly enhance pulse system designs. A comprehensive overview is available in the following link: Just How Good is SBE’s Patented Pulse Capacitor? (pdf link)
Summary Design Parameters/Characteristics:
- Extreme Long-Life Reliability or Designed to Specific Lifetime Requirements
- No Runaway or Catastrophic Failure Mode
- Design Flexibility to Minimize System Loop Inductance
- Greater Performance with Less Volume
- Industry Leading Current Density for High Reliability/Space challenged applications
Summary of Construction and Values:
- Dielectric: Polypropylene and Polyester
- Packaging: Axial Leads, Round/Pressed profiles, Bare sections, Arrays, Power Ring
- Specific terminals/form factors to meet critical dimensions
- Construction: Metallized or Film/Foil, Non-Inductively Wound Single & Series-Section
- Capacitance: 0.001 to 10,000 μF Single Capacitor Designs. Larger “banks” available.
- Tolerance: ±1% to ±10%
- Voltage: 100 to 8000 VDC (per individual capacitor section)
- dV/dt: Improved by 1000% over conventional designs
Additional Links of interest on SBE Patented Pulse Technology:
- Demanding Los Alamos Project Using SBE Patented Pulse – Power Ring Technology (article)
- Extreme pulse current survival papers (See Technical Papers).
You can test this technology with your most demanding application.